(Based on Martha Stewart’s recipe)
- 1 pound spaghetti (or similar pasta)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper
- 6 rinsed anchovies (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes and their juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives (though black olives would probably work)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and anchovies (if using). Mash this all together with a wooden spoon. Cook until garlic is fragrant — approximately 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice. Break up tomatoes with your hands as you add them (or break them up with the spoon in the pan). Stir in capers and olives. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer until thickened — approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Toss with pasta and serve. Season to taste with salt and pepper.