This is my take on Martha’s Spaghetti with Three-Tomato Sauce.
You’ll need about 30 minutes and:
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato oil (from above)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced OR run through a press
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes (I used the “vine ripened” ones and I cut them up into smaller bites — it calls for cherry, but grape would probably work… or Roma)
The you make it like this:
- Heat 2 tablespoons tomato oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the diced tomatoes with juice and the sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thick, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Add fresh tomatoes to sauce and simmer until soft, 10 minutes. When you add the fresh tomatoes, also put the spaghetti into the now boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti (reserve 1 cup pasta water) and return to pot. Add tomato mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss, adding pasta water as you wish.
- Eat. :)