Alright, I got the idea from Martha and I think there was a post on Smitten Kitchen about eggs and spaghetti (I’m not sure exactly where I’ve seen it). But this, I think, is mine enough to claim for myself.
What you’ll need:
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- one zucchini/summer squash (optional)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced or run through a press
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 eggs
What you’ll do:
- Dice up the garlic (or use the garlic press), onions and zucchini.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic, onion and zucchini for a few minutes, until soft. Add the red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes (crushed and diced) and simmer for 15 minutes. Reduce heat and bring sauce to a low simmer.
- Add eggs (one at a time) to skillet and cover. Cook for 5 minutes* (until egg whites are set) and then remove from heat, still covered, and let stand for 5 more minutes. Serve with crusty bread or noodles.
*Hopefully you don’t overcook your eggs like I did. I was afraid the whites weren’t actually set, so I simmered them for 10 minutes. Dumb idea, because by the time we ate them, the yolks were also set. Sad face!