This was probably one of the yummiest ways I’ve had pork. Maybe I DO like pork after all, maybe I just needed to eat it sans shake and bake. Maybe I need to banish those ideas of parasites from my mind forever.
Smothered Pork Chops (slightly adapted from Tyler Florence’srecipe):
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
What you’ll do:
- Mix the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne and salt together with your hands and pile on a large plate. Dredge the pork chops in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess. (Keep the left over flour for the next step.)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with oil. When the oil is hot, fry the pork chops in a single layer for 3 minutes a side (or until they are golden brown). remove the chops from the skillet and sprinkle some of the left over flour in the pan drippings and pour the chicken broth in.
- Cook the liquid down for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little. Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy and return the chops to the pan. Cover them with the sauce and simmer for 10-15 minutes (until pork is cooked through). Season with additional salt and some pepper, if you like.
Also, I didn’t change a damn thing about the corn casserole by Paula Deen (except I might have added more cheese to the top. Whoops). Click on the link and make the casserole. It’s the yummiest, ohmygod.