I made this:
This fed 4… but my family has no shame about downing a quarter pound of cheese per person.
What you’ll need:
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I used low fat, but not non-fat!)
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, grated (I used a bag of 2% sharp cheddar and a bag of 2% Colby Jack.)
- 1/2 pound uncooked elbow pasta
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch round or square baking pan with about half a tablespoon of butter.
2. In a blender, purée cottage cheese, mustard, cayenne and salt and pepper together. Once smooth, add milk and pulse a few times to incorporate.
3. Reserve a handful of cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the cheese, milk mixture and the uncooked pasta. Give it a good stir and pour into the greased pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover pan, dot with remaining tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with reserved cheese.* Bake, uncovered, for another 30 minutes until it’s pretty and browned. Let cool 10 -15 minutes before serving.
5. Eat it and pretend it’s health food, ok? I served mine with peas so, hah! Veggies!
*In step 4, you’re suppose to stir it a little before you dot it and add the extra cheese. I didn’t do this. I don’t think it makes a huge difference as long as you mixed it up really well before you poured it into the pan.